Monday 30 November 2015

Frog Mug

My son has been ordering spare parts for a couple of little motorbikes he's doing up. When you live an hour and a half drive from the shops it can be easier just to buy them online and wait for them to arrive. Today at work I received a text from Australia Post announcing that there was a parcel to be collected. Of course, I expected it to be a motorbike part so sent my son a text so he could collect it. A bit later in the day I heard back from him via text message. 

"No carburettor but your cup is here."

I was going to text back again but with my dinosaur phone making texting such a labour, I decided to give him a ring to find out what on earth he was talking about. 

"What cup?" I asked him when he answered the phone. 

"Your Frog Cup, " he said. 

I was none the wiser for this declaration. He obviously thought it was something I knew about and had ordered. I was mystified. I asked if there was a letter or a note with it. Nope. 

"Who is it from?" 

He checked the parcel and  told me it was from a family member, my sister-in-law. 

As it turned out there was also a message written on the box. He had obviously ripped it open thinking it was a bike part. Sometimes I order them for him and they come addressed to me, so it was an easy mistake to make.

I was excited to be heading home after work to meet My Frog Cup! It was indeed a gift from my sister-in-law who had found the Frog Mug (Mug not Cup!) at a car boot sale in Canberra. She realised that Tahune Pottery where the mug originated from wasn't far from where I live so bought it and sent it to me. What a gorgeous surprise! So totally 'out of the blue' and unexpected. 

You can take all the birthday gifts and Christmas gifts, Mother's Day gifts, Easter gifts and other 'predictable in terms of when' gifts and none are so wonderful to receive as one 'out of the blue'. I think what makes it so meaningful when that happens is knowing that someone saw something that reminded them somehow of you and decided in that moment to bless you with that thing. And there was absolutely no 'have to' or 'ought to' involved. They did it 'just because'. 

I have another beautiful tea mug that turned up that way; 'out of the blue'. My son had found it in a second hand shop. It has an intricate pattern in bright colours, a strainer and a lid. Perfect for making my kids' special home-made brand of chai. I was so thrilled when he gave it to me as I'd been looking for one just like it - and he didn't know that! How awesome are those moments of synchronicity!

I feel so blessed and hope that this will inspire you to bless someone you know with a little something sometime when it's not a birthday or Christmas or any particular time. 'Just because' is reason enough.

 Might be something you find second-hand. 
Might be a note saying how much you love them or are thinking of them. 
Might be a card telling them about how their light shines on your life. 
Might be a candle to add a little shine to their life.
Might be a post-card or a photograph.
Might be a flower or a rock. 

A gift ought be given not with the intention that the giftee must keep said thing forever or feel a burden of guilt when letting it go. A gift, in the giving, in the receiving, does the job it was intended to do. It's a tangible expression of love and caring. When it's spontaneous, it's all the more beautiful.

Wishing you love and blessings and contentment in your life.

Kerry x

I think that little frog will make an excellent second handle!


No comments:

Post a Comment