Thursday 12 November 2015

30DWC - No Facebook Day

I don't know who decreed it, but yesterday was a 'NO FACEBOOK' day. I decided a week ago to embrace that and as it turned out, it was pretty easy as I spent most of the day in bed with a lousy headache. However, I kept an awareness of not looking in on what else was going on in the world and I found it so incredibly restful and refreshing not to be doing that. Not to be sharing memes or writing or doing anything screen related. Although I did get myself up and head out to yoga late in the day and I did watch some television on my return, so it was not an entirely screen-free day, but it was close. 

I sometimes dream of a no internet/no television life. I think I might rather like it. I wonder if I could still do whatever my life's work is, and in some ways I think not. Research is so very internet based these days. Books are good but the internet is so very current. What it has made me think about though, is that I would really like to have my life organised so that I have at least 2 or 3 completely screen-free days a week. I honestly believe my life would be wholly enriched if I committed to that path. Screen time has become such a habit in my life, and I fear perhaps a very expensive one in terms of real-life experience. More on this later. 

The 30DWC calls. I am a bit miffed at the topics for yesterday and today so expect me to be succinct.

Yesterday, Day 22: Your morning routine

Really, it's not anything you'd want to read about. I'd love to say that I have a ritualised morning routine that sets me up for the day. That's something I dream of but haven't yet achieved. I blame myself for not yet having the life I dream of. Morning rituals would be part of that most definitely so that is what I'll tell you about. My dream morning routine.

It would look something like this.

Having gone to bed early the previous night, I would awake with the sun and the birds (i.e. no alarm clock). I would drink my two glasses of salted water (oh, yes, I already do that part) then get up and after a relaxed time attending to ablutions I would make a cup of coffee with cream or of herbal tea and sit outside on the verandah looking at the ocean as the morning light played thereon. After a cuppa taken in between closing my eyes and breathing in the beauty of the morning, I would take a brisk hour's walk along the seafront and home again. Then I would make a delicious breakfast from fresh ingredients, to be eaten with time to chew each mouthful to a homogenous pulp before swallowing. It would only take moments to wash the breakfast dishes and wipe the benches then I would be ready to read and write for the remainder of the morning. Doesn't that sound heavenly? It does to me. 

Currently it's more like wake late because I've gone to bed late. Or wake to the alarm on work days. Drink 2 glasses of water. Days at home - it varies. Work days - shower, dress, breakfast, pack bag and go. Far less attractive in the writing and the doing than my dream mornings! Pehaps I could do one thing at a time and perhaps take just a tiny walk to start the habit. Always something one can do to improve the status quo.

Day 23: A family member you dislike

So...I didn't read the whole list before committing to do this in a public forum...

But I will do my best! 

Forgive me for the generalisations but I am telling the truth. I think there are things that each of my family members has done or said that I have not liked. I think there are attitudes held by different ones that have not sat well with me at times. However, I am able to separate the words or the actions from the person and to still like and love the person that remains after I've done that. 

Families are all a mix of people who are, for the most part, doing their best to get along in life and it's not easy. They are our training ground for life and our mirror. Yes, I've learned that often the things that rile us in our loved ones are in fact showing us a reflection of ourselves that we don't really feel happy with (intolerance, anger, jealousy, that kind of thing). It can be a signal that we have work to do in ourselves.

I can say with absolute certainty that there are things I've said and done that will have hurt, annoyed or upset members of my family over the years. I'm sorry for that but I also accept myself as a human being with flaws and idiosyncrasies (and far too many opinions). I am grateful for the love and acceptance I receive from my family in spite of myself! I do my very best to love and accept each of them just as they are too. 

This I have written in lieu of I'm just not going there!!! Or Are you kidding me? I have to live in this town ;) !!!

On the bright side...there are only 7 more days of this writing challenge to suffer! Looking ahead on the list, there's nothing too dangerous coming up! Phew!

Do give yourself a screen-free day sometime soon. Just to remember what a whole day with yourself is really like. I think you'll enjoy it. I'd love to hear about what you did with your time.

Cheers to you all out there.

Kerry x



No comments:

Post a Comment