Sunday 14 July 2013

Chai Teabags

I had my standard one or two cups of coffee this morning while I was checking my emails and updating on Facebook, and when I went to make a cup of tea a bit later on I realised that I had used the last teabag yesterday afternoon. Oh no! I went to the cupboard just to make sure and found a brand new packet of chai teabags...what a relief!! I had completely forgotten buying them and that they were in the cupboard, even though I had re-organised it only days ago. It got me to thinking about how much stuff we actually have in our homes that we forget we even have. Can you identify with that?

I'm currently working on doing a bit of a 'clean sweep' through my home. I am not a hoarder, but I do find that because I don't have a lot, people are keen to give me stuff they no longer have use for, and I'm terrible at saying "No thank you," when I know they are being kind. Sometimes I think "Yes, that is something I would use," but then I find it just sits there. I don't need it in my life. It is not helping me. Then there are those beautiful friends who will go and BUY me things because they feel sorry for me. They are so sweet and I appreciate their love and kindness so much, and their concern. I wish they could understand that I'm ok without much. In fact I'm better without much. I find it easier to go for walk, to read a book, to spend time with family and friends when I have less stuff vying for my attention.

Books and paper are my primary problems when it comes to the 'clean sweep'. I love books and have real trouble parting with them. I have just finished giving myself a little talking to about the fact that I can have 15 books at a time from the library! I also have this month's selection for book group, ' True Pleasures: A Memoir of Women in Paris' to tackle. I rarely have books that I keep going back to, but there are a few that will retain their place on my shelves, at least for now. In some ways having too many books sitting there waiting to be read sets up some kind of guilt about not getting to them. There is always that sense of not coping well enough in life to get things done that I want to do or should do. So although it's a bit of a struggle to go through and make decisions about what I want to let go and what I let stay, it's going to be so worth it.

I really only got started last night after a week of mental preparation and I have to tell you I'm feeling better already. Spaces are appearing where there were none and dusting is going to be a breeze as there's not much to have to work around. I can feel the tension disappearing. My breathing feels deeper and somehow lighter. I feel more awake and more relaxed. I feel, in a sense, that I am back in charge of my life. It's funny how 'stuff' can take over and keep you feeling overly busy, overwhelmed or just unable to think..




Well the chai was great. In fact I think I'm going to go and make another one then I'll keep going with the job at hand. What's your biggest challenge when it comes to reducing your 'stuff'? How do you talk yourself into letting go? Or do you hold on to everything?  Love to hear from you and what you do to make your life more manageable.

Here's a link you might find helpful if you haven't really thought about reducing the amount of stuff you have but want to look into it. I found some helpful suggestions.

3 comments:

  1. I love stuff! Collecting all sorts of things as well as things I make. Sometimes I feel guilty about all the books I have and I try to let go of some. Last time I tried I could only part with a measly few. Mal reminded me recently that I'd always wanted a library of my own. I have a bookshelf (well, 3 shelves really) that are completely devoted to books I haven't read yet, piled on top of each other. I get so much joy from gazing at them before I choose another one to read. I love ornaments too. Each one has a story, like the porcelain bride and groom that one of our kids gave to us years ago when we were going through a 'rough patch'. Each time I look at it I smile. But then there's all the junk that gets accumulated, things that get plonked outside in sheds or around the place. Oh and the buzzy burrs (don't know the botanical name but it's one hell of pest) that have overrun the property while I was out of action. My goal is to pull them all up! one by one! Then my next goal is to clear out the old studio that's mostly full of junk and tackle some of the old sheds as well. Of course, my mind is ahead of my body's limits for now but little by little I will get there. At times it all gets so over whelming when my body won't let me get things done but it's surprising how much can be achieved by doing a little each day. I get grumpy having to stop myself just going for it but it's what I have to do otherwise I'd be too sick to do anything. How nice it is after a week or so of doing those little bits that have joined up to make a bigger bit. Clearing the clutter whether it's outside or inside sure lifts the spirits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get it Karin, I really do. I think we are all bower birds at heart and I have my special bits and pieces that I will not let go. But some of the extraneous stuff that I seem to accumulate and that really does just end up being mess...that is what is going. I think the trick is to find out what works best for you and go for it. I agree, all the little things we do add up! So it's about choosing what little things we do...so that the big thing we end up with is what we want! I like the way you know your limits and take care of yourself. Go you!

      Delete
    2. Ah yes, I may know my limits but that doesn't mean I always stop when I should. I have to keep reminding myself as does Mal as does the whole family!

      Delete