Thursday 7 January 2016

Christmas indiscretions and the dreaded aftermath

It all began with the gradual appearance, in the staffroom at work, of mince pies and shortbreads and chocolate treats. Slowly they came, at first in dribs and drabs and then in a rushing torrent of sugary delights. Some were labelled and placed in pigeon holes - yes, some had my name on them. Others were placed enticingly on tables - on plates - no protective coverings to stop tempted fingers from grabbing a little something on the way through. 

Then came the gatherings, the parties, attended and catered with such enthusiasm. Cheesecakes, pavlovas, cakes and puddings. And more chocolate. Chocolate in the shape of trees or Santas or candy canes. And the candy canes, mint and cherry and... But not just the sweet stuff. Cheeses and biscuits, lavash and dips and drinks (low alcohol but still, additional to what I normally consume).

I had to go and do some Christmas shopping, of course, and of course, I bought more shortbreads and chocolates - not for me, of course...And I baked a delicious fruit cake, the fruit soaked first in a generous bowl of green ginger wine. I made rich and beautiful Swiss muesli loaded with full fat yoghurt and oats and nuts, seeds and berries. 

These devils all flirted and flashed their irresistable delights and I succumbed. At first with a 'just this one' attitude, but as the sugar lit up my brain with a hefty dopamine response, caution went the way of the wind. Now if it was only for a week, it might not be so bad. Alas the decadence proceeded for weekS! Apart from the festive season goodies, I also fell foul to home baked bread and other everyday goodies, but with festive season gusto! Yes, I know I'm not the only one who was eating too much or too often. Not just once but over and over again. Whilst it was all very social and enjoyable and of course, delectable, I am now left with the aftermath.

I didn't notice it happening really, but when I slowed down enough to tune in with my body again, oops! My waist has swelled noticeably and my digestive system (after all, that's where all this stuff went) is showing signs of discontent. Visits to the loo are too frequent and less satisfying than they ought to be. My body is anxious to rid itself of my indiscretions but I guess it might take a week or two of more virtuous living to get its rhythms back where they work best. 

Interesting enough, I don't think this will be a struggle. It's such a relief to be eating salads and drinking herb teas. Litres of water complete with Himalayan Pink Salt to replenish minerals and fluids are being welcomed with gratitude. My whole body is sighing with relief that I have stopped filling it with crap. Sorry to say it, but as far as my body is concerned, that is what sugary delights are. My body can't deal with it well. It can't use it constructively, so it just stores it away until it gets the chance to off-load it. 

For a fortnight I've felt too sluggish and tired to be bothered getting up early. I'm not even waking early - that's bad! Walks on the beach have been thought about but rarely executed (sorry, I mean enjoyed). Yesterday I found the motivation to get on my stationary bike. I pedalled through the 4 o'clock news (well, 20 minutes of it), raising my heart-rate and covering a theoretical 8 kilometres. Usually I can manage 30 minutes, Give me a day or two and I'll be back!

Sometimes it just takes one little bit of motivation to turn things around. Motivation - you can't buy it but it's one of those magical things you can create from NOTHING!! It is simply a thought, a mind-set. So I did it. I got started on getting my clean-living self back. I have no imaginings of getting skinny or looking younger. I want to feel good. That's it. I know what to do. I know what helps my body to help me. And I'm doing it. From now on. Perhaps by next festive season I'll feel so good I won't be tempted!

My body repair plan:

  1. Plenty of water with Himalayan Pink Salt
  2. Herbal teas in place of tea/coffee most of the time (I'm only human!)
  3. Plenty of sleep - going to bed around 9.30pm - this is when my first 'sleep' indicator hits me. If I miss it I can keep going until after midnight easily and it's difficult to get to sleep in between.
  4. Plenty of movement - on my bike, going for walks, cleaning windows, tidying outside, washing the car...
  5. Wholefoods, fresh, raw, plentiful (loads of fibre) and delicious - making time to prepare and keep raw vegetables washed and cut up ready to go for snacking

It's simple. It's a good life. My body will appreciate my TLC and will give me a better life in return. Sounds like a good deal to me!

One final thought. Guilt. I entertained it briefly and decided no, I will not feel guilty. What a wretched and wasteful emotion it is. How it robs us of feeling good about life. So, rather than feeling guilty I'm giving thanks. Yes, I am so very thankful for this good life I have. I am thankful that I have the choice to take care of myself by eating well and exercising. I'm thankful that I can choose to go to bed early in order to function better. I'm thankful for the chance to lift my game and to live life to the fullest. No guilt. Just joy. Just thankfulness.

Join me in making choices that help you to feel better about life. And about yourself. Every good choice is a way to be thankful for all the marvellous things your body is and can do. Give thanks by making thankful choices. 

More joy, more freedom. 

Now it's time to go get on my bike!

With love

Kerry x

No comments:

Post a Comment