Saturday 14 September 2013

Sunshine, flowers and time to wander...



This morning I lay in bed and thought about some of the things I might write about for you today; I wondered how many of my old school teachers would still be alive today, and pondered on how the different ones had changed me or influenced my life. It would probably be a good story, haha but I'm going to save it for another day because instead I'm going to share about the lovely day I've had today.

My friend David rocked up pretty early; I'd sent a message asking if he'd like to go walking today if the weather was nice. Well it was a beautiful morning and he'd risen early and walked on the beach and then along to see if I was up and ready to walk too. After a cuppa and some tomatoes on toast, which by the way is one of my very favourite breakfasts, we headed off up the valley in the car. I had some library books that were long overdue (and I hate to let that happen, but it's been such a busy week and the library is 45 minutes away) so I got to return them before the late fees do serious damage to my savings! With that 'have to' out of the way it was back to walking that my thoughts returned. 

We parked along near the Huon River and went for a wander along the boardwalk that runs behind the town and joins up with Flood Road. Took a punt on that leading back to the river and it did so that was good. The day was spectacularly warm, sunny and delicious! It was lovely to hear frogs croaking happily. It gives a place a happy feeling I think. It's good to know that they're still out there and doing okay. Frogs are one of the first things to go when the waters become acid or toxic in any way as they absorb things through their skins. So it was good to know that things are alright for now. I looked down into the ponds that pooled under the little boardwalk bridges hoping to spot some spawn or tadpoles, but it must be a bit too early for that yet. I'd love to pick up a few to watch in the classroom for a little while and then return them when they've grown a bit. Maybe I'll find some next time. I didn't have anything to put them in if I had spotted any, but next time I'll go prepared with a jar at least!

That stroll was enjoyable and we chatted with a friend along the riverside who makes a habit of feeding the ducks and other waterbirds that gather there. She said she didn't do it often as she wouldn't want to make them rely on her. I suspect they do pretty well from the barbeque crowd too, and the people who buy fish n chips from the barge. They were a very fit and healthy bunch of fowl and they waited impatiently while we talked. It's lovely to bump into people you know when you're out. Do you find that too? I always get a kick out of it. It's one of the benefits of taking every opportunity to get out into the community to meet people and to get away from the computer and the tv and go for a walk!

Well, as we got back into the car David mentioned how beautiful the Japanese maples were in Canberra; there were two stunning red barked saplings near the car and I'd commented on them. What do you think about a run up to the Botanical Gardens I asked. Seemed like a plan on such a great day. I love spontaneity...such fun. Soon we were on our way and after a bit of a detour around the Domain in Hobart, we found a place to park the car and our walk continued. Have to mention that the drive was lovely too, with the sun so warm and bright. It has just been one of those truly glorious spring days.

The Botanical Gardens were so enjoyable. Families stolled together in the sun or sat on quilts enjoying a picnic. The azaleas and rhododendrons were spectacular but I was a bit disappointed not to see mass plantings of daffodils. There were some but they were tucked away  out of sight. The tulips that were out were gorgeous as were the poppies, but I think it will be worth heading back in a couple or three weeks to see much more colour. We wandered through the Japanese Garden and strolled amongst the various mammoth artworks displayed here and there. Here there was a party, tucked into a private corner, complete with balloons and white table clothes...and there a wedding with fair haired snowy gowned bride chatting with her guests. It was a joyous celebration of life whichever way we turned. We sat a while in the sun and just soaked it all in. 

Further on I found the oak forest and spent some time returning to childhood, skating through the shin-deep dry leaves and kicking them into the air, just for fun. I stood with wonder beneath a giant oak, not an English oak, but one of other heritage. It was so alive, so huge, so magnificent. David had walked on ahead up the path, but I walked slowly around this wondrous giant and touched each low slung arm and told it...you are beautiful, you are beautiful, you are beautiful...it's beauty almost took my breath away. I whispered and felt a child-like wonder engulf me. I guess that's being in the moment. Being alone in nature and allowing myself to feel it was such a spiritual experience. I wouldn't have missed it for anything. 

Later on we rejoined to wander through the eucalyptus forest and marvel at the patterns on the spotted gum and the clever design of the Wombat One Bush Pavillion. We shared stories along the way of gardens and forests and trees we'd each encountered through our lives, memories provoked in such a place. It was such a lovely day. It's a long time since I've spent almost a whole day outside. It feels really good. Hope you had a good day too, whatever you were doing. Sunshine and flowers and time to wander; shared stories, laughter and companionship...a recipe for time well spent!


No comments:

Post a Comment