Friday 20 December 2013

Giving thanks

The past few days have been full of exciting surprises for me and I just want to acknowledge my very good fortune. Apart from all the obvious goodness in life like family and friends, a roof over my head, ample food and clean water, I have had the unexpected blessing of accumulating some holiday pay during my part-time contract this year. The arrival of money when you don't expect it, even a relatively small amount, feels a bit like winning the Lotto! I have breathed a sigh of relief and delight in being able to be less frugal than I expected over the holiday period. I don't mind being frugal, but it's nice to have a little more freedom...that's for sure. 

I had a dental appointment on the same day that I found out about the holiday pay. I expected to part with a lot of money to have my teeth mended, but again, a lovely surprise. Only one small filling...one had fallen out only the night before, so it needed no drilling...just a wash, a dry and refill. I needed no anaesthetic either which was a bonus for someone who just doesn't like having injections, even though you hardly feel them these days. Big smiles as I left without needing to book a follow up appointment. The day was looking very fine!

Next thing my phone rang and it was then that I was told I have a contract for full-time work for 2014! I'd been on  tenterhooks for months while the education department placed all their permanent staff and was so thrilled to finally be offered a position at the local school for next year. Yippee!! So much goodness all in one day!

The past few days have been a whirl of last minute jobs and celebrations with students and work colleagues to see out the end of the 2013 school year. I am blessed to work with such a brilliant collection of wonderful people. Every one of them is dedicated to giving the best they can for the kids and their families. They are funny and witty and clever and beautiful people. I enjoy their company so much at work and socially. I feel very lucky indeed. 

There are some gorgeous folk here in town who have put an immense amount of time and money into creating a spectacular Christmas grotto display of their home and garden. In a few moments I was transported back to childhood. What a lovely gift to our town and especially to the children. I haven't got much in the way of decorations and don't feel a need to do much, but I really appreciate the efforts of those who go to so much trouble for the delight of others. Good on you and thanks!

Well, this is short and sweet today. I know there's lots of bad and lots of sad out there, but today I just wanted to share some happy with you. A wise man once told me that you see what you're looking for. Let's try for a few days to look at the good stuff that happens for us, and the good stuff we can do for others. Wishing you love and light and happiness...the eyes to see it and the heart to feel it. To all the 'Scrooges' out there...all the 'Bah, humbug!' folk...find a little something you can do for someone and feel a little spark light in your heart...It might just be a smile but we can all give something. 

So thanks to God, to the Universe, to the goodness of life, to family and friends and others. You fill my life with wonder and goodness and blessings. The countdown to Christmas is on. Wishing you peace and joy.



1 comment:

  1. I love reading your blogs! There is so much to be grateful for and we often get caught up in the personal events and forget to appreciate the simple things in life. Today it is raining and the garden doesn't need watering. It has been so hot and the garden has really suffered. It is great to have the rain. Have a fabulous Christmas, Kerry. :*

    ReplyDelete