Sunday 14 October 2018

Not So Intrepid Travel Adventures


Wondering where to begin telling the tale of my Not So Intrepid Travel Adventures, I fell upon the idea of creating a  word cloud. Sitting and thinking about all the things I'd done and places I'd been created a bit of a bundle from which to create a post. I didn't keep a diary each day, though at the start I thought that would be a great idea, but there is enough stored in my memory to do some justice to the subject. After all, I was there.

To put it all in a nutshell wouldn't be so possible if I'd 'done' all of the UK, or even all of England herself, or if I'd 'done' a furious ground mashing tour of Finland. But it was a holiday in the true sense of the word for me; one where I most importantly learned to sleep again. It was so wonderful and so worth all the effort for that simple achievement alone. Not something I set out to do, but a wonderful and so welcome surprise that came to me entirely by accident. Getting away - properly away - from all that you are generally party to, gives you the permission to sleep again like a baby. Oh, and I did! It didn't matter where I was staying, deep, restorative sleep accompanied me on all but two night of the 37 I was away. This is a miracle to me. 

Since the day I had my first child back in 1990 and perhaps even before then, I've barely had a proper night's sleep. I had a lot to catch up on. And then I got home. Jetlag. None traveling the other way but coming back was a nightmare. Day and night. My body hadn't a clue. I almost undid all that good holiday sleep in my first 3 weeks at home. Despair fell upon me as night after night I was bright as a button and even for the mornings. Bleary-eyed afternoons gave way to evenings where I held off sleeping until bedtime. I finally booked a trip away again and scored some really good sleep again in New South Wales! So, it seems my body hadn't forgotten how to sleep again. It just needed much longer to adjust than I had expected. Or perhaps, just to be away from home.

During the days away from home, I had a grand time. If we ignore the fact that I fell down the stairs bruising my coccyx at my cousin's house during my second week, and had trouble sitting down and standing up thereafter, it was pretty jolly. Most of the time I stayed with my aunt, and she doesn't drive. I wasn't game to drive overseas (that level of bravery will have to wait) so we went here and there on the bus. That was quite a novelty for me as buses are few and far between at home, and I drive myself where I need to go. It was a bit wretched after the fall because it took me so long to raise myself to disembark, it was a bit embarrassing. I thought people watching probably thought I had piles or something. I stood up like I had a full nappy. I don't wear a nappy, just for the record, but I hope that gives you some idea of what it might have looked like. Despite all that though, the bus was great fun because I got to observe the locals in their native habitat and it was so entertaining and a super way to understand myself more because this is where I've come from. Good old England. I guess there are differences in traditions and culture as you go from place to place, but still it was enlightening. The buses are normal bus size and the roads and like alleyways or lanes. Drivers must show a level of patience, kindness and forbearance I doubt would be possible in Australia. Fortunately the Poms are a polite race, not least on the roads. 

In fact, I've never heard people apologise so liberally for everything under the sun. Sorry, sorry, sorry. It was a bit amazing. I thought it was weird and was heard to say on one occasion something like..."Well, I'm not sorry. It just took that long to put the shopping in the bag. Have a nice day." It felt to me a bit like everyone was apologising for not being super-human. Like sorry it's taken me a normal amount of time to pack my shopping. Because yes, like at Aldi, you had to pack your own. At Sainsbury's you did, at any rate. But you know, it's not about that. It's cultural. One must apologise. And so now, I must apologise for taking the mickey about apologising. Sorry. Thus proving that I am indeed a Pom! They might pack for you at Marks and Spencer's but I only bought one thing there - my birthday cake in a box - and it didn't need a bag, so I guess I'll never know. Unless I go back.

Shopping in Finland was a whole other thing, not least because although I coped quite well with converting Australian dollars thinking to British pounds thinking, I hadn't learned how to say numbers in Finnish. So I can count Euros in English, but I can't hear how many you want from me. I kept smiling apologetically and using English with a shrug that was meant to say "Sorry I didn't bother to learn any of your language before I came and visited your country. I'm an arrogant idiot." The Finns are generous people and accommodated my lack with kindness and a smile on every occasion. But really I was most shocked with my ignorance of the fact that not everything everywhere has English subtitles. Now I know how to say kiitos - thank you. Not a lot else. But it is just better than nothing. It was great to see some familiar products on the supermarket shelves, and certainly I didn't look like starving at any point, that's for sure. My Finnish hosts, friends I'd only met online prior to visiting them in their homeland, were generous, kind and forgiving and I shall be forever grateful for them taking me into their homes and showing me their way of life. They also kindly curtailed their enthusiasm for wanting to show me much more of their beautiful country, in deference to my trouble with sitting in the car for too long hours. 




Finns are also very polite and generally somewhat introverted it seems. I came across an amusing set of postcards titled Finnish Nightmares. They depicted simple line drawings of what I presume are typical Finns in horror situations like wanting to get off a bus and having to ask someone to move, or standing in the rain at the bus shelter because it is already occupied by one other person. Being an introvert myself, I understood completely, but I did have to chuckle to myself. I so enjoyed meeting friends and family of my Finnish friends, and also seeing places of significance to their family. I was so lucky to experience a smoke sauna and then to swim in the crystal water of the lake which was a very respectable 21.5 degrees C. 

Finland gave me the opportunity to make a fool of myself on a number of occasions, and that can be a terrible thing for an introvert in a strange land. Fortunately by this time of life I am able to laugh at myself and my faux pas'. Like going around the back of a restaurant to use the ladies room, finding an open door going in to find the kitchen on the left and the bathroom on the right. Coming out to find the staff all standing agog as I emerged from the bathroom where all their handbags were. Luckily I'm honest so they had nothing to worry about. We all laughed when I saw my mistake. I had walked past the door with the little 'ladies' silhouette as I had my hat on and I didn't look up. I had thought to myself on entering the bathroom, gosh, these Finns are very trusting. Whoops!

Lakkar and Guinness deserve a mention. Lakkar is a delicious liqueur made from beautiful yellow cloudberries which grow in Lapland in the northern part of Finland. I also drank Jacob's Creek wine; sparkling Chardonnay/Pinot Noir in Finland after being assured that it is good for the brain. Great advertising Jacob's Creek. Maybe it's true. In England I drank Guinness well watered down with soda or mineral water. The bartenders wasted a lot of Guinness because it kept overflowing when they added the soda. But they unflinchingly kept at it until the glass was full, alas then with mostly soda. It can be done better but I guess they're not used to such a request. The thing about the alcohol was that I really haven't had much at all for many years, and it was nice to be able to have a few without ending up with a blinding headache. I thoroughly enjoyed that.

I ran into an old and elusive love in Porvoo...amber. I've been ogling amber jewellery in a little shop in Hobart for many years and there it was again on a market stall in Finland. I looked. I admired. But because I was nervous about the money and I thought I might pass out when the stallholder told me the price if I asked, I didn't bring any home with me. In memory of that encounter, I ventured into the Hobart shop just this week and purchased myself a ring and earrings. I adore them and wonder why I couldn't find my way to do this sooner. Before my trip away I couldn't do it. After my trip I could. Something has changed.

On the whole I would sum up my trip by saying that it was a great experience and one I am so very glad I embarked on. I learned a lot about myself and other people. I learned that I could feel completely at home when far from home. I learned that I can still get a great night's sleep. I learned that I might do a few things differently next time I travel. Yes, I hope there will be a next time. 

My travel tips:
  • The long-haul flights suck. Do what you can to be comfortable without infringing on other passengers' space. 
  • Carry medication for headaches, nausea and diarrhea as a minimum self-care package. Be wary of wipes as you might react to them. I did. Take your own.
  • Pack light and buy what you need when you get there if you're staying more than a couple of days. I packed for cool to warm weather and it was hot. Hot. So I had a suitcase full of stuff and used very little of it. I lugged that case up enough stairs in London to know that I won't do it again.
  • Learn the basics of the local language so that you can at least look like you're trying. Numbers, money, please and kiitos. It is polite to do so. Sorry Finland.
  • Have some idea about setting up your phone to work where you are without it costing you the earth. I bumbled my way through this but think further research would be helpful. Thanks to friends who gave me a few tips before I left.
  • Get to know a bit about local culture before you go. Surprises are nice, but it feels good to have some idea what's going on around you.

Did I mention that the morning after the stairs accident I woke to find one eye looking like Kylie Jenner's lips (I had to look that one up). I had used wipes again, the plane incident being insufficient to deter me, and had once again reacted. I remember what they say about donkeys and mistakes. Hee-haw. So with a bruised backside that made it hard to sit and an eye I could barely see out of, I was glad to be staying with friends and family who loved me better. I don't know if any of them will read this but if they do, thank you all for making my holiday a wonderful and memorable one. I loved almost every minute. 

Cheers for now

Kerry

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Kerry! This was almost as good as talk over a cuppa, which will have to wait till we get back from Europe xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, now I shall have to wonder who I know that's off to Europe! Do tell :) I always prefer a real cuppa to a virtual one! xx

      Delete