Tuesday 7 January 2014

A Day In Town

It's a bit lavish of me, but I decided that I'd come to town today and stay overnight...in a hotel...in the city. It's exciting and wonderful. I bet you think I'm mad! The fact is that when you live a mammoth hour and a half drive from town...I know, some people actually commute from down home to the city for work, but that seems so close to impossible I really don't know how they do it...you can run out of energy to do all the things on the list. I usually have such a list. I have things I've been meaning to do in town for two years!! Hence the big decision to pay out for accommodation and give myself time to browse and make up my mind about things like new glasses.

I last had my eyes tested four years ago. I know, it's too long...but somehow it just didn't get done again. I had made the appointment to have them checked and then went to 'check in' at the hotel. The man at reception needed me to give my car registration number. I could remember the Queensland one but not the new Tasmanian one which I've had for the past two years. Hmmm. Short term memory loss. Long term...pretty good. Anyway, I said to him I'll just pop my head out the door to have a look. The car was only about 20 or 30 metres away tops. I could see the car but not the number plate...well I could see it, but not what was written on it. I'll just go a bit closer I thought. I walked towards the car squinting to see what it said. Eventually I had to bend down as well...oh, boy. I will say that the sun was at a particular angle but I really don't think that was the only problem. I was very pleased that my next job was to see the optometrist.

My poor old eyes are losing some of their mojo and for the first time in almost a lifetime of eye examinations seem to be on the downwards slide. I'm a bit distressed because every time they say no, not much difference. This time he said yes, they've gone down one step. What is one step? I should have asked. How many steps are there? But I just nodded sagely and accepted this new bit of un-knowledge. Knowing what questions to ask is very important isn't it. Perhaps I'll get the chance to ask when I go to collect my new glasses. Spec Savers do a two for one deal and so I have ordered a pair of bi-focals which I hope will be effective for work, and a pair of long distance glasses for driving and walking about in. I have worn glasses full time since I was seven years old, so they really are not a luxury but a necessity. All the same I count myself privileged to have the choices I have for types of frames and lenses...and even the opportunity to wear glasses. My life would be less rich without them. I appreciate all the amazing things I get to see just by getting outdoors and opening my eyes. How beautiful everything is and how sad I'd be if I couldn't see it all.

Some years ago a lovely man from a church in Bowen blessed me with the gift of a banjo. Our family had visited his after church and he had plucked a banjo from the wall and started playing and I was transfixed. I'd never heard anything so full of joy and fun. I love the sound...the bubbling, bouncing sound of the banjo. It is sheer delight. To my great surprise he offered me his old banjo to learn. Wow. No one had ever given me such a gift before. Along with it came a book by the banjo playing superstar Earl Scruggs. He's the king of bluegrass banjo I'm pretty sure. I bought an electronic tuner to go along with it and started to practice rolls, trying to get that finger memory you need to be able to play well. Over time I did get a few rolls going really well and even had a go at a tune or two...but then circumstances led me to hand my banjo to someone else and when all interest was gone, it eventually had to be sold. Sometimes life can put you in a tight corner and you have to let go of things you'd rather keep.

 I cried when it went, but I know that the fellow who bought it was so keen and excited and I know that banjo will be out there somewhere in Central Queensland bubbling out a tune for happy listeners. I've dreamed many times of getting another banjo and getting back to learning. You don't have to not learn because it didn't work the first time. Like giving up smoking...you just keep trying; giving it another go. But of course, now I don't have a banjo to play around with. Hobart has a magical little music shop called MacFie's and inside is a clever man who happily played a little tune on all the different banjos in the shop so I could hear the difference. The tone mellowed a little as the price got higher but they all made a joyful sound. I'm thinking seriously about buying one. I'm sure I could lay-by it and now I know there is a banjo teacher not too terribly far from home, that could be just the prompting I need. Anyway, I really enjoyed those few magic minutes listening to what must be my very favourite instrument. It makes me feel happy to even think about learning again. Stay tuned...haha.

Living in southern Tasmania does really mean that one needs boots. Good boots. Warm boots. Durable, smart, wearable, comfortable boots. Today I bought some. The smart thing about buying boots in the summer we're not really having (still lots of wet and cool days...but it's going to turn it on when we all go back to school, for sure!) is that the winter stock is all ON SALE. I bought a pair of perfect for me boots for a very good price and I know they'll be worn and worn until they wear out in about ten years' time and then I might get some more. It was such a happy thing to buy some boots too. It feels like I've gone a bit mad really...but most of my trips up here are looking trips...and thinking trips. This time it's the doing and shopping trip.

I have to say that as much as I love and adore my friends and family, it's kind of nice to be up here on my lonesome and just going here and there as it suits me. I'm planning on heading out shortly to catch a movie and by then I reckon I'll be tuckered out and ready for a sleep. A change is as good as a holiday. You don't have to go far from home, but just get into a different mode of thinking for a day or two and it can be refreshing and renewing. I'm planning to go a bit touriste tomorrow and to visit a few places and perhaps take a few photos of things that catch my eye. I wonder what I'll have to write about tomorrow...Talk to you again soon!

2 comments:

  1. Look forward to hearing you play banjo Kerry! When the family were all kiddies, things could get pretty chaotic at times. When stress levels got a bit high I would go to Hobart on my own, wander about the shops, browsing to my heart's content, maybe buy something, then stay in a motel and eat pizza and sleep......glorious sleeeeeeep, then head back home the next day. I only ever had to do it a couple of times during those full on family times but it saved my sanity.

    ReplyDelete